Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

some explanation of methods
In Response To: Re: methods/roger/Trades/Wayne ()

Lee,

You have always been more than fair. You exhibit the rare quality of listening as carefully as possible to what a person is actually trying to say without reading something into a message that is not there. Communicating thru internet is often difficult, because people are naturally inclined toward nonverbal communication. When one is forced to type only (and exactly) what one means, it requires much more effort.

I'll be glad to share the reasons cycle work indicated that a top was in place before the market even began to break last week, although I cannot guarantee anyone will define the following as "logical" or containing "clarity". To me it is crystal clear. To someone who has no introduction to these methods, they will sound like anything but a discussion of the corn market.

The Jupiter and Saturn synodic cycle takes 20 years to return to the same angle. However, one does not need to wait 20 years to use this cycle. Every 15 degrees of it creates meaningful turning points in the grains. Starting at the 12-5-08 major low, Jupiter-Saturn (J-S) moved 15 degrees to 9-8-09. This is one of the reasons I was calling for a turn back then. The next 15 degree movement arrived on 6-8-10. Corn made its final low on 6-29-10 but Beans and Wheat made their best low on 6-8-10. The next 15 degree movement was due Feb 23, 2011. The major reversal on Feb 22nd that sent corn from 15 higher in the overnights of the 21st to limit lower on the 22nd was the indicator that the cycle had arrived.
However, there are more cycles impacting the market than just Jupiter-Saturn. That is why NEARBY corn made an even higher high on March 4th, yet all the contract from Sept 2011 on out did not. They made 3 highs (feb 10, feb 22, and march 4) This is VERY similar to what happened at the 2008 top. On June 16, 2008 NEARBY corn hit $7.58, made the ultimate top on June 26th, 2008 at $7,65, and then came back to the $7,58 area on July 3rd I believe. 3 tops with the middle one being the extreme. Look at the may corn 2011 contract. It's high was on feb 22 when the J-S cycle arrived. This is why I set a stop at $7.45.
Now as to why March 4th indicated the FINAL top. If you will notice the first 3 dates of the J-S turning points I listed (Dec 5 2008, Sept 8 2009, june 8 2010) These 3 dates were approximately 273 days apart. That is 270 degrees around the circle of the earth's orbit. Like most cycles, the J-S cycle is elliptical which means it does not travel at a constant speed. sometimes its 15 degree segments last much longer than 273 days. However, at this point in time 270 degrees of earth is synchronized with 15 degrees of J-S. Two 270 degree points takes one exactly 180 degrees on the other side of the circle. Nearly all corn contracts made their extreme low on 9-4-09. Measuring to March 4th 2011 is 540 degrees of earth (1 1/2 cycles of 360).
That is why in my original post concerning this top, I included the measurements of the individual contracts back to the september 2009 low.

All of this is to describe only ONE cycle out of more than 6 that were affecting the market. They all tend to synchronize to the same locations, which is what causes the major trend changes. One should carefully study the measurements listed in the march 7th post, where it was shown how all of the extreme price levels in the last 15 years measured almost exactly to the $7.33 area.
TIME AND PRICE are intimately connected. The price top of $7.34 3/4 by march corn is the exact same place on the circle where beans topped. On Feb 10, 2011 beans topped at $14.55. This is simply 720 degrees (twice more around the circle) from the corn top of $7.35. The 2008 top was similar. Beans = $1663 while corn = $765. That is almost exactly 900 which would be 2 1/2 times around the circle or 180 degrees!
This should give you a new perspective on price. There are only 360 possible locations, just as there are only 365 possible locations in earth's orbit, we simply start over after 360 degrees. This means that the 735 and 1455 are on the same spot. With this understanding, you can see that corn and beans reached the EXACT SAME location for their extreme price.

Roger

Messages In This Thread

some explanation of methods