Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: U.S., Canada join intervention efforts to sell

Interesting.

When the earthquake hit lots of the news channels were saying that Japan would need to buy or bring yen home because they would need the money for rebuilding efforts.

Now this article says "Dollar/yen soared in Asian trading hours as the Bank of Japan kicked off yen-selling efforts after the G-7 announced it would take coordinated action to curb the currency's post-earthquake rise".

My original thought is they would want a stronger yen. Japan does not have much in the way of natural resources. Would not a stronger yen allow them to purchase lumber, steel, copper, cement products for the rebuilding process, or is it outwayed by the fact they want to export finished products?

We all know China holds a lot of US Bonds. I don't know how much Japan holds. Will Japan cut back on the buying US bonds due to the disaster? If so, I would expect the continuation of QE2 into June, and then could we not see QE3 to make up for any loss of buying by Japan in combination with the disaster to keep econnomies chugging along.

Messages In This Thread

Re: U.S., Canada join intervention efforts to sell