Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Oilman: Poin&Figure Charts

Oilman,

I noticed your query about Point & Figure charts over the weekend.

I haven't visited these sites in a long time but I assume they still exist. dorseywright.com and EZ-PnF.com

Below is an excerpt from a post I made about using point & figure charts alittle over 11 years ago.

"Like anything else in trading one has to ask oneself why and what one would want to use the tool for? After you know why/what you want to use it for that may help you decide the important issue of box size for your P&F chart. Smaller the box size the more sensitive the chart; larger less sensitive. So do you use P&F for entry/exit or stoploss placement or signal a reversal of a trend?

When I use or have used P&F its for trend change warning and some times entry confirmation. I like P&F because its visual and doesn't always require a lot of time and attention. Charting of any kind that I do I always do by hand; I find doing them by hand keeps me "in touch" with the price and gives me a "feel" for the direction. I don't mean to sound negative towards my fellow traders but I'm guessing most don't use P&F because they're too lazy to figure it out and do it for themselves. I find that after I take the time to figure out the box size(which occasionally changes) and draw out the chart & keeping track of it for 3-4 weeks I actually can stop doing it by hand. I can visualize & memorize the box size and signal points. Maybe two or three times a year I'll start up again to tweek the chart and get my hands back on it. This usually happens after some one asks me about them."

I hope this may assist in any "X"ing and "O"ing you may do in the future.

Prosperous trades to you!

KJB22

Messages In This Thread

Oilman: Poin&Figure Charts