Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Sailing, Carly Simon, Marthas Vin NTR/Andy/All

Hi Andy, All
Well Andy, I certainly have to thank you for getting me into this. I tracked down quite a bit on that concert and thoroughly enjoyed "re-visiting" it !!!

For those that sail and those that unfortunately have not tried it, I write this epilogue ....

After the concert we anchored in Vineyard Sound just northeast of the of the Menemsha Pond harbor entrance. Next day we planned to sail to the East end of Marthas Vineyard to Vineyard Haven [normally a full days sail at 5 or so knots "about it for a 30 ft. sailboat". Well after a pleasant quiet night, our anchor did not drag, but as the sun came up in the morning, so did the wind !! I could feel the anchor starting to drag as we had spun 180 deg. with the tide change.

So, forgoing breakfast, we set sail shortly after daylight. The current was with us and the wind continued to strengthen from the Southwest, right behind us. We sailed "wing on wing" (a most pleasant way to sail) and on the Loran we were making 10 to 12 knots "over the bottom" all the way through the sound. Jill managed a nice breakfast as the boat was sailing "flat" and really quite pleasant !

By noon, we were at the entrance to Vineyard Haven a "half day early" !! So with that, we decided to continue on to Nantucket since the sailing was so great and the weather as well. Another couple of hours later we headed pretty much EastNorEast on a "broad reach" another "fast point of sail" but then you really get the sensation of motion and the strain on the boat. Right into Nantucket Harbor we went, just in time to "relax a bit" before going ashore for dinner.

Thanks again for reminding me of this !!
If one person takes a "crack" at sailing, it was well worth the time writing this .....

Lee

Messages In This Thread

Re: Sailing, Carly Simon, Marthas Vin NTR/Andy/All