Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: cool/Wayne

Hi Wayne,

That was certainly a great video !!

Now I have to tell a story !!!....

When I was 17 or so, working in the boat yard in Atlantic City, we took in a PT boat to strip down, repair, remove the extraneous left over deck hardware [The 50 cal. guns and torpedo tubes had been removed.] Remove the 3 Packard 1200hp modified aircraft engines (burned high octane aviation fuel at a rapid rate) with 2 Cummings 671 diesels of the day (Circa 1961) plus some other work. I remember the "double 'diagonal' planked mahogany hull"

Anyway, rest of story is the "fun part" !!!

She was likely a 77 footer from the "fit" on the railway where we normally hauled 110 ft. fishing boats. So the "crew of 'kids', four of us at the time" scrubbed and painted her bottom.

Well, the owner of the yard, who brought her over to Haul on the railway was now "operating the railway". When he said, catch a line on the piling to hold her while I bring the railway back up, I offered to "bring her back" to the other yard. [This man could be "difficult" to deal with !!]. I then mentioned the amount of fuel in the tanks that we would have to deal with (had no use for it) so I suggested just going out and burning it off - a 20 to 25% load at 500 gal./hr. would only take an hour or so !! I suggested that when the first of the 3 engines sputters, I shut 2 down and come in on one, once having slowed down a bit should have plenty of fuel left.

Well .... What a surprise I got !!

Rather than a "long list of marching orders" I got a simple statement. OK - but "DON'T HURT HER" !!!

With that he added, I'll call the CG and let them know what you are up to, just in case you do run out of fuel.

All worked out just fine. What an experience !!

Those 4 young "snot nosed kids" likely had more collective "boat handling experience" than any Navy PT crew ever had, but what a "joy ride" it was !!!

On later reflection ...

How do you "hurt" a 77 ft. PT Boat anyway ???!!!

Thanks Wayne, for bringing back the memories !!!

Lee

Messages In This Thread

Re: cool/Wayne