Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Oil's recent correction a buy opportunity/SG

Greetings,

There is clearly some merit in SG's discussion of copyright.

However -- as I recall from school, there are two perspectives that cloud the issue, and likely open the door for Haligonian to point uses to the articles in such a way that fulfills his generous contributions while respecting copyright.

I am no lawyer, but what I recall from business school is that copyright can be tempered in several ways. Two ways perhaps relevant to the situation at hand are:

1) fair use, and

2) .. what is the term? I think the phrase is something like "if the original work is substantially altered to create a new work". I think some jurisprudence exists that a collection of headlines and precis, for sake of creating a such a collection, is considered can be considered to be a 'new work'.

My understanding is that both those concepts might soften copyright, if the reference/post is limited to the headline and perhaps a very short excerpt from the article -- with the intent of helping forum users identify relevant/useful articles, and then directing them to read the full article at the source website, with an active link to original story.

I believe this would also relieve ethical concerns, and meet the business desires of MarketWatch to attract eyes to their website and articles.

Of course, if MarketWatch disagrees, we will respect their wishes.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Re: Oil's recent correction a buy opportunity/SG