Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: weather July 4th-11th/CeeJay

Hi Ceejay,
Your post:
"

Lee, you can get EIA historical consumption data and methodology from the link below. They have 17 years of weekly storage report data accessible from a spreadsheet (the link to that is embedded in the report).

OK, the first link under data:
History (XLS)
Gives the weekly summary injection/build data for each region, East, West, Producing and Total as of the preceeding Friday. You get the "change" by subtracting the prior weeks number.

It is this part that I do not understand:

The weekly data from year to year doesn't overlap precicely due to changes in the date of each Friday from year to year, but one can estimate fairly closely the average consumption of each week from the database within a few days. For example, the seasonal average injection for this upcoming Friday is 77.5 Bcf (19 years of data). The average 5 year injection is 77.8 Bcf. [do you mean 17 years here ??]
"
Are you saying that you are evaluating the expression that comes up in section 1 of the below link: ??
http://ir.eia.gov/ngs/methodology.html#5year

If so, can you post the chunk of the spread sheet that you are using to calculate this ??

This whole thing is not making sense to me ....

This statement also bothers me ??????
"
For example, the seasonal average injection for this upcoming Friday is 77.5 Bcf (19 years of data). The average 5 year injection is 77.8 Bcf."

Injection is the "amount supply exceeds demand" and this is saying that this has been nearly constant over a 5 year period [for those 2 numbers being approx. equal ].

Thus saying that production has been controlled/matched to demand (for the given week) for a 5 year period !!!

Am I correct in making that observation ???

If so, things are pretty well controlled. I would be sure consumption/demand has increased over the last 5 years.

Thanks, Lee

Messages In This Thread

Re: weather July 4th-11th/CeeJay