Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Delta Neutral Trading with ETFs

One trading strategy I've been using for a few years now is a delta neutral program using exchange traded funds (ETFs.)

First, one chooses a pair of securities that trade inverse to each other. An example is pairing the QLD (double long QQQ) with the QID (double short QQQ.) It's important that both securities trade as mathematically opposite as possible.

The idea is that once there is enough market movement - in either direction - an adjustment is made to balance your position back to delta neutral. Notice this is based on the MARKET VALUE of your positions, not necessarily the nominal price. The price itself is arbitrary, because these ETFs are designed to reflect a percentage daily change based on the change in the underlying.

A delta neutral adjustment is made by either 1) exiting a portion the position in the positive direction of the move, 2) entering an incremental position in the opposite direction or the move or 3) some combination of 1 and 2.

It's important to balance your moves between exiting the profitable side and entering the negative side. If you always just exit the profitable side, you will find yourself running out of powder. If you always just enter the negative side, your capital constraints will ultimately come into play.

I could go into alot more detail, but for now I'll leave it at that and if any other forum members are interested, I'll be glad to share more info.

Good trades to all.

Messages In This Thread

Delta Neutral Trading with ETFs