Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: A few questions about commodities?

Well the boys have had their fun, and there is truth in what Wane says.
This is a high risk time to begin trading these products .. more so if you are short funded.

=========

1. How do I calculate the cost of a commodity contract (examples: rough rice, soy bean oil, ethanol, sugar etc)? (side question, would Ethanol be a crude oil?)
A) Ethanol traded on the CME, and carried on the margin sheets under the grains ..
B) To calculate the nominal cost of a commodity, you will need the size of the contract for delivery and the last quoted price.
example: Corn (C) 5,000 bu. x $4.00 per bu = $20,000 per contract..
learn about margin and maintenance / held overnight or day trade - more important than the contract value.

2. How much does commission usually cost for a broker?
A) A full service broker will charge 25 to 100 per trade, plus fees.

3. Does anyone recommend any books, DVDs, newsletters, etc I should read/watch to learn more about the commodity market?
A) You can begin here:
---- http://www.webtrading.com/phantom/preface.htm

4. How long should I hold the contract for, a few days or wait a few months? Or until the price goes up and I feel I should sell?
A) there is no answer for this one .. each trader must follow their own path

5. How do I determine if it's a bull or bear market?
A) Stock answer = Higher highs / Higher lows = a bull * Lower highs / Lower lows = a bear
however .. it is the time frame that you work that you must watch: intraday, daily, weekly, monthly
you can have different things happening in each .. so you must decide where / how you feel most comfortable

6. How do I calculate profits/losses?
A) best to use a calculator .. seriously, a brokerage statement will have these listed,
just move them to a long term spreadsheet

* Remember * Commodities are marked to market each day -

7. Are there any virtual market games I could play? (besides tradefields)
A) I have no idea .. this is not a 'game' .. games have rules, there are no rules here.
if you question that, see a recent silver chart,

8. How long/how many buys/sells in 'paper trades' should I make before I put real money in?
A) again, there is no simple answer .. each must find their own path.