Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

are breakdowns better than breakouts?

I've just backtested a simple breakout/breakdown daytrading system(without indicators pure price action) for the E-Mini S&P from 2006 to 2011. Per contract the results were quite modest. It made about 300 points short and 40 points long. The short profits were massive compared to the long. At first I thought that the ES has been quite bearish over this period, but looking at the daily charts this is not really true, there have been several up-rallys. But nevertheless the short trades always outperformed the long.

What do you guys think? For breakout trading is it better to go short (trade breakdowns)? I have heard that the market is always more volatile on the short side, perhaps this could be why.