Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: S&P teetering on the brink of doom!?/NTR/Rand

Hey Randolf. No I never felt anything in Victoria with the 6.4 quake off the west coast of Vancouver Island. But the Vancouver area and further up Island felt it as it was centered off the upper west coast of the Island and off shore. No damage was done. The fault line is 130km off shore and this one was 18km below ground. The deeper the better as it's the shallow quakes that trash things the most. I felt the Seattle quake years ago. I was working in a condo and it shook things enough that I ran out onto the balcony. But it stopped in seconds with no damage. It did a lot of damage in Seattle though. The southern tip of Vancouver Island rarely ever experiences anything major with weather. Very odd really. And we get less rain than Vancouver as well. It does freeze overnight in the winter at times and can get and stay cold now and again for short periods but that is good as it kills off most of the nasty bugs etc. Any time I bitch about rain or the odd freezing overnight in winter I watch the news and am reminded of the terrible weather most places in the world experience on a regular basis. Then I stop bitching and thank my lucky stars for where I live. The media keeps talking about "The Big One" coming here that occurs every 200 years or so. I get sick of their b.s. Nothing like media hype to get everyone jumping up and down with their over exuberance. I cancelled my earthquake insurance last year as it was costing about $500 per year just for that part of the home insurance. And the coverage stated there was over $30k deductible to boot! I can do a lot of patching up for $30k so it wasn't worth the cost. The house would have to come down to justify the deductible. If that happened I'd likely be dead anyways. Selling earthquake insurance with that kind of deductible sounds like a licence to print money to me.