Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

NG ETF:UNG/Lee *PIC*

Here is an example of what I was talking about. Much the same as your post last night with the horizontal lines drawn showing the channels prices trade in off support and resistance. This is a 30minute chart of UNG which is the NG ETF. To compare I've overlaid the March 12 chart in blue to show how well they track together. But my point is see price 'channel' sideways and then continue the downtrend. At the same time see price run up to the 20ema even on this 30 minute chart and not just the daily. A downtrendline also exists but that is not always the case unless the trend is consistent. The 20ema will move with price and will still act as rolling resistance just so long as a trend in any time frame exists. If price channels for awhile price can and will whipsaw through the 20ema as it tracks sideways. This occurs will all moving averages or anything based on them. But see how well this works as a guide to trend continuation. Plus the channels to trade off of still work as well. What I wanted to point out is with a 5 minute chart or less those short channels look much the same but are much much weaker and fail far more often as they are channels made up with 5 minute bars or less and while they still look like a support channel bottom you would not even see them on a 30 minute chart most of the time. So the chart looks the same with various channels but channels made up with 15minute or 30 minute bars is far stronger and more dependable than the smaller time frame channels. You likely already know this but I did want to clarify the difference. See price this morning run up to the 20ema as usual and back off again.