Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: WTF moment in Oil/Haligonian *PIC*

Here is a USO chart with April Crude overlaid in blue. Yesterday really spooked me when around 10:45 price was breaking out over resistance on the intra day charts so thought I'd jump on for a quick intraday ride when price plunged just before I placed the order. It did come back some but still threw the intraday chart out the window for me. But a nice swing trade is the breakout over $40 resistance. Even a longer term trade after price runs up confirming the breakout and clearing resistance and then classically pulls back to the breakout point at $40. And the old fashioned classical conservative trade is to wait for the breakout AND pullback AND "successful test" of support AND then a return to rally mode before buying. It is even better with a short downtrendline to break over on the pullback to get long. Looking at this chart that short downtrendline on the pullback has not broken out yet and this chart is live. But I'd like to buy a swing trade at $40 but not a plunge through it as I don't hold losing positions and exit quickly when underwater. My account doesn't breath well underwater anymore than I do. So I just exit at trouble and re-assess. That has saved my ass so many times in the past and I just don't ignore it now. So price is trapped in this tight range between $40 support and the downtrendline resistance of the pullback. Need to see one or the other breakout or breakdown. I know, fussy,fussy,fussy..................... but preservation of capital is always Job #1. And another factor is the strong run up since January on most everything without much of a correction suggests a pullback nearby. Very typical in spring to have a fast sharp and strong wash out various markets. So while this Crude breakout is technically good for a swing to longer term buy over $40 I will likely just continue to take bites along the way with little exposure overall. Seasonal trend charts are very bullish from mid March well into April.