Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: you weenies on strike or sumthin...

I'd say it depends on how you use it. If you poorly trade constantly, you can burn through any amount of money. If you buy a contract with enough money to sustain a reasonable downdraft...deep pockets...full of money...can allow you to sit and wait for profitable prices.

Time is money, conversely, in this game...money buys time.

I don't think I would try that with a short because the upside is unlimited while a long is bound by zero.

20K'ish will cover one contract of corn to zero, at current prices, indefinitely. You got roll and commission on same but...20K'ish.

If price goes to 6 bucks in the next, say, five years...that's 10K on 20K...50% interest over five years or possibly less. Average it out to 10% per year...not bad given interest rates these days.

And...that interest rate is based on the assumption you put up 20K for the ride to zero. Prudence might rather dictate funding to 1.80 where price has based since 1972 save for mid '86 to mid '87 where it made lows at 150. If you funded say 3.60 to 1.80 that's 9K instead of 20k investment. So, if price goes to 6 bucks you're looking at 100+ %.

not real sure how one should look at that but if you have the pockets you can play the real long ball.